The chances of any home or establishment getting infected by molds are high and common. Molds can easily be caused by any type of leaking water within the area and can spread throughout the whole property in less than 3 days! Considering the hazards it can potentially cause, molds is not something to be left ignored and unattended. It doesn’t just attack your property but can also pose health threats to you and your loved ones.
WHAT IS A MOLD?
Mold is a fungus that grows in the form multicellular called hyphae. Some mold can cause diseases and food spoilage. It is usually found in establishments with water damage problems. Its appearance looks like stains and can come in different colors. Molds can create small “spores” that are small enough for humans can inhale. Inhalation of these spores can potentially cause respiratory problems and other illness.
TYPES OF MOLDS:
There are different types of molds that can be found in different places, some of these molds are much dangerous than the others.
lAspergillus – This type mold is an allergenic mold can usually be found in food and air conditioning systems in houses, offices and other establishments.
lCladosporium – Is commonly a “pepper like” green or black substance that grows on the back toilet bowls, painted walls and fiberglass air ducts. This mold is not toxic to human beings but it may trigger allergic reactions such as a red nose, watery eyes, etc.
lOrange/Red Mold – This mold is typically found outdoors and has a slimy texture that grows into decaying plants or moist wood. It’s not toxic and is usually removed for aesthetic reasons.
SIGNS OF MOLD IN YOUR HOUSE:
1.Allergic symptoms – If you notice getting allergy symptoms when you’re at home and feel better when you are outside then chances are there’s a mold growing in your house. Some of these symptoms may include rashes, sneezing, irritated itchy throat, blocked nose and more.
2.Mold Odor – Having mold grow in your house gives a moldy odor that should not be ignored. When this odor starts to be present in your home, you should check where it’s coming from or call a professional to help you.
3.Visual Signs – When a mold starts growing, it’s only a matter time for you to see a visible mold in your appliances, walls and other parts that may be infected. Most people can unknowingly ignore mold because it doesn’t look like one. Some molds actually look like a white thread sticking on your home, while some may appear as a cluster of small black spots. When mold starts to appear, this is a clear sign that an action should be done.
4.Water Leaks – Most water problem such as molds is caused by water leaks. So if you discover a water leak in your house you need to take a closer look or ask a professional about it because most water leak molds are hidden.
TIPS IN CONTROLLING MOLD
Removing mold completely in your home without any professional help is impossible. However since mold and mold spores can’t exist without moisture, you can decrease the growth of unwanted mold in your house by controlling the moisture in your place.
Here are top 5 tips on controlling molds in your house:
1.Dry any wet areas around your house to prevent molds from growing.
2.Keep the house warm during cool weather. It’s because when the temperature decreases, the air is much less able to hold moisture and condenses on cold surfaces that may increase the chances of growing molds.
3.Open door between rooms to increase air circulation around your place to carry heat on cold parts of your house. You can further elevate the air circulations by using fans and moving furniture.
4.If you notice your windows or other appliances having moisture, turn off appliances that are near it and wipe the moisture clean and leave it dry.
- Use exhaust fans in places you want to remove moisture outside.
Mold Remediation – it is the process fo removing, sanitizing and preventing unwanted molds in a certain location.
Mold remediation has a number of steps to be followed. The whole process will take 2 days to be completed leaving your house clean and free from mold.
Before we arrive, we advised you to clear the area where it is most affected by the mold growth. Make sure appliances from the part where the mold exist has been removed for easier entrance.
We will then start off by parking as near as possible to your doorway. We will lay down plastic sheeting and make sure that your house is well taken care of and clean as much as possible. We will also run a hose through the molded area before entering.
Before the mold remediation process start, our team will suit up from head to toe to avoid any contamination to the possible hazardous process. The suite serves as a protective covering against possible LED-based paint removal or asbestos.
After suiting up, we will start to spray down the infected areas with the biocide. Biocide is an EPA-approved liquid which kills mold. Remember that bleach is not considered as effective in removing molds.
After spraying our team will leave and let the biocide take action into killing the mold in the area as well as its spores.
Again, clear accessed is advised.
After spraying the infected area and leaving it for a day. Our team will now spray the area with a type of paint or whitewash that encapsulates the remaining mold and spores that biocide failed to kill. We will not just spray on the infected area but also to the area near the mold exist. This is to ensure that molds will no longer grow in that area.